DRD Scholarships for Africans
The DRD offers a limited number of DAAD merit scholarships per year for applicants from Sub-Saharan African countries with an excellent academic
record, to pursue development-related Masters and PhD studies.
Host Institution: University of the Western Cape, South Africa/Ruhr-
Univeristy Bochum, Germany
Field of study:
Scholarships are available for full-time students of:
• MA in Development Studies
• Master in Public Administration
• the MA in Development Management (Bochum Programme)
• the different PhD options at the centre (PhD UWC)
The scholarships are intended for nationals of Sub-saharan African countries.
Scholarships include monthly allowances of 650 Euro for Master candidates and 900 Euro for PhD candidates plus travel allowances. Mobility scholarships are also available for Master students each year.
Scholarship applicants are advised to carefully read about the specific entry requirements and course application procedure of the programme of their
choice. The information is available from the respective programmes sections. In addition to programme requirements, all applicants have to meet the following requirements:
• Applicants should be from Sub-Sahara Africa
• Applicants should have an outstanding academic record – at least 70% for your last degree
• Applicants should apply within 3 years of having completed their previous degree
• The study must have been completed at an internationally recognised university
• The previous degree (Baccalaureus or Master) should have been an academic discipline which is related to Development Studies or Public
• South African students are required to have an honours degree in order to be admitted to a Masters degree course.
Other students need the equivalent of
a 4 year undergraduate degree
• Applicants must provide evidence of proficiency in English, both written and spoken. This can be TOEFL test or a similar standard test or a letter from an
• Work and/or voluntary experience in your field of interest would be a recommendation
• Women are encouraged to apply
• South African students are encouraged to apply
• Applicants must be able to study fulltime at the UWC for the required period.
For applicants of the MPA, the MA in Development Studies as well as PhD candidates, you will have to fill in an electronic application form by 31 July 2015.
For the MADM, there is a separate online application to be submitted by 31 December 2015; please refer to the “How to apply” section of the Bochum programme or the course homepage.
It is important to visit the official website to access the electronic application form and for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.
Official Scholarship Website: http://www.drd-sa.org/