McGill University Canada – MasterCard Foundation Scholarships for African Students 2016/2017
Brief description: The McGill University, Canada is partnering with the MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program to offer undergraduate Scholarships for African students.
Eligible Field of Study
Development related courses – contact the University for Specific Details
McGill University and The MasterCard Foundation are pleased to offer The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program at McGill University for the 2016-2017 academic year. This prestigious scholarship recognizes students who are residents and citizens of Sub-Saharan African countries (including French-speaking students), who come from the most challenged socioeconomic backgrounds and who show outstanding academic and leadership abilities.
Thanks to a $27 million financial commitment from The MasterCard Foundation over the next decade, the Program will provide academically talented, economically disadvantaged young people from Africa with access to quality university education. McGill will welcome 91 Scholars from Africa over the next ten years, some of whom will be coming from French-speaking countries.
In addition to financial support, Scholars are provided with a comprehensive support network that includes an array of mentoring and support services to ensure each student’s academic success, community service engagement and transition to socially relevant employment opportunities, when they return to Africa at the conclusion of their studies.
Scholarship Offered Since: 2013
Scholarship Type: Undergraduate scholarships for African students
- You must qualify academically for admission to McGill University. Please note that admission is competitive.
- You must be a first-time applicant to university (transfer applicants are not eligible).
- You must be a resident and citizen of a Sub-Saharan African country. French-speaking applicants are welcome.
- You must have an exceptional record of service and activity in your school and/or community.
- You must have the potential for meaningful future service to your community as a leader engaged in dynamic local and global social change.
- Your financial status must be in the lowest two quintiles of your country.
Admission to McGill University
- Academic achievement and potential – academic admissibility is determined based on the applicant’s academic record.
Acceptance to The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program
- You must demonstrate an exceptional record of service and leadership in your school and/or your community. This may include organizing youth programs, assuming leadership roles in school activities, participating in clubs and teams, taking on responsibilities at home, advocacy and/or volunteering in your community.
- You must be committed to returning to Africa after graduation to continue to give back to your community and country.
- You must be from a low-income background. Your financial status will be verified.
Eligibility, Worth of scholarship & Application is in NEXT PAGE.